Monday, April 6, 2009

The power of text messaging



Text messaging: a teacher’s worst nightmare, a student’s addiction. I have yet to attend a class where I do not hear the slightly annoying noise of a vibrating cell phone. Text messages are known for being short, straight to the point and an extremely easy and fast way of communicating with anyone who has a cell phone, they are also known for butchering the English language or any language for that matter. Acronyms, abbreviations and the oh so wonderful grammar mistakes; for people who are new to text messaging rest assured you’ll have some learning to do. This way of communication allows you to stay connected with friends and family anytime and anywhere yes even in class. These days people would much rather send a text message than have an actual conversation on the phone, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m one of those people. Not being a fan of phone conversations for various reasons I’ll gladly send a text message instead of making a call and sometimes I really do have no choice. There are even sites like www.twitter.com that allow you to send a text message to your twitter profile to let everyone know what you are doing at any given time. Text messaging brings people together for only 25 cents a message.

3 comments:

Inept Architect said...

Text messaging has always seemed like the most expedient way of communicating. I can't see us being able to interact much faster than texting, but I'm sure technology will come through and prove me wrong sometime in the future.

Unknown said...

Text messaging has affected the use of English language in a negative manner...One of my professors told me that he saw a paper where someone included "lol" in the content. Which gave me a good laugh but also frightened me...

face said...

Text messaging comes with the territory of a changing world. The world is becoming faster, and text messaging hasn't killed anyone yet.