Sunday, April 5, 2009

music devices



IPods,Zunes, mp3 players however you want to call it, it still does not change the fact that almost everyone including myself has one. A wonderful little device really; that lets you enjoy your music anywhere any time sound wonderful doesn’t it? Besides the fact that it turns most owners into zombies who would much rather sit in the corner of the bus and listen to their music instead of having a conversation, well at least that’s what I thought. I can’t speak for everybody so I made a poll to see how other people feel about the matter. One simple scenario and one simple question: let's say you're in a public place and you're listening to your iPod or whichever music device that you happen to own: would it bother you if someone approached you and tried to have a conversation yes or no? 23people (52.27%) said yes it would while the remaining 21(47.73%) said no it would not. A few people that said that it would bother them said it depended on the circumstances; who it was, what song was playing, their mood etc. Here are some of the more interesting answers that I got :

-We're such an antisocial society and things like iPods contribute to that. Personally, I like people and enjoy learning about people and from their experiences so any opportunity to talk to someone that's willing is welcome.

- no....might wind up having an interesting conversation

- I am antisocial and love that my iPod helps me cope with that. Personally, I don't like people and don't enjoy learning about them and their experiences, so any opportunity to talk to someone is avoided by me 90% of the time.

- Yes it would bother me. Most of the times when I have my headphones on I want to zone out the world so I don't really want to have someone coming up to me and bugging me. Same thing when I'm reading

- It really depends all comes down to the person who approaches me, even if I was in a bad mood I'd appreciate an interesting conversation with a stranger, but at the same time I could be in the greatest mood and if some weirdo started talking to me it would bother.

- I don't like this question because the answer can vary based on many factors (ex: my mood, who the person is, if the device is easy to put away, etc.) and I'm too lazy right now to go through all of them.

Normally, I guess I would talk to the person if they seem cool. My attachment to people far outweighs my attachment to music. Yet, if I really just want to listen to the iPod though, that is exactly what I would do. There is nothing wrong with that either. It is more of an issue of circumstance than anything else I guess.

This is something that always happens to me btw. I guess people see me as very approachable. All the crazy people start trying to talk to me at the most inopportune moments.

- No, it would not. I do listen to either zone out or just ignore the world, but if someone wants a conversation, I’m down. I'm not that avoidant.

3 comments:

Renegae Pop Culturist said...

Its funny from personal experience, I like having headphones on to avoid conversations with people. But I'm not antisocial it all depends on who's around, like when the scary transvestite who talks dirty is on the bus, perfect time for headphones, lol. A lot of the time conversation pops up (usually with people my own age) about what I'm listening to and then good music conversation can happen. Personally I think your mp3 player attitude is just an offshoot of your personality that's already there.

Young War said...

An alternate to ipods, there's video games. Before this there was walkmans and gameboys. Books/magazine have been around practically forever. If you're enjoyin your means of entertainment, whichever it may be, you do not want to be interrupted. Then again, if you're only doing these things to keep yourself pre-occupied while in your commute, a good conversation with a new acquaintance will take care of the job.

Unknown said...

I love my Zune. I'd talk to someone if they came at me correctly, but my Zune is my digital girlfriend. I'm not sure how I ever lived without her. lol